Monday, December 8

From Tom - Saturday 12/6/08

I went to see Marco in the Hospital on Saturday afternoon. My wife & kids went with me. I knew about Marco's recent surgery to replace the bone & the setback he had with the drain tube clogging, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew he was in ICU and that only family was able to visit, so Suzanna & the kids stayed in the waiting area while I went to find Carmen. I found Carmen outside Marco's room. He was resting as he had been doing since the surgery. She explained to me about his "setback" and that they had him pretty sedated to try to rest. They were going to remove the intubation tubes that morning (Saturday), but before they got to it, Marco pulled them out (AGAIN). The first time he did that, he damaged his throat & vocal cords, making it difficult for him to speak, eat etc. Obviously, the second time was just as bad or worse. Marco's making quite a reputation w/ the nurses there as the one that needs to be watched. When they're not looking, he takes off tubes, bandages, etc. etc. Anything he can reach.

Anyway...after talking to Carmen for a while, I went down the hall to where Suzanna & the kids were. Suzanna went down to see Marco while Carmen & I went to the waiting room. When Suzanna didn't come right back, I went to find her. I found her in the room w/ Marco. I thought maybe she didn't know the "family only" rule & had gone in to see him. Turns out that while she was standing outside his "window" that he woke up & was motioning for her to come in. The nurse took her in to see him. When I got down there, the nurse told me to come in as well. Marco was very much awake. He does not see well yet & has a hard time focusing, but he recognized us immediately by our voices. Because of the damage to his throat, he does not talk, but he certainly communicates. Through hand signals, he asked about us, the kids, my surgery, the date & time, etc. He wanted to arm-wrestle me, dance, etc. He wanted to give Suzanna a hug & me a very elaborate handshake =). It was very apparent that his mental capacity is there. He remembers, reasons, recognizes, etc. It’s tough to see that he is confined to a bed and cannot speak or see clearly yet, but incredible to know that the same old Marco is there mentally.

After about 15 min. with Marco, he got tired & it was time for us to go. Marco had no problem telling us to get out =). We visited w/ Carmen & Marco’s mom in the waiting room for quite a while & then left.

No comments: